Sunday, December 5, 2010

550 Final Post

I forgot to post last week :(


I'm sitting in my hotel room at the TIES conference in Minneapolis as I type this. I am attending this conference to keep abreast of 21st Century skills, how to help students develop them, and to add to my PLN. I am working towards shifting the lessons that were handed down to me at the K-5 level to 21st century skills. Right now they are somewhat aligned with the WI state Tech standards, but those are old and I feel as though they behind the times. They focus on students doing specific tasks rather than becoming critical thinkers and problem solvers, which is what we need for them to flourish as adults. I think that this shift will be difficult mainly because I'm not quite sure how to get the rest of our team on board. As we move into the second decade of the 21st century, it's imperative that we are teaching students in a way that is effective. Online education seems to be a promising way to engage students and meet their needs while giving them the skills they will need to be a productive member of our global society.

I made this tagxedo about 21 century skills, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tagxedo and putting your hand print on our course. This course is designed around participant interaction. Without your efforts it is little more than a shell.

    I share your concern that we are still teaching children how to use technology, rather than using technology to teach children.

    You have set a great goal for yourself,

    Greg Mahaffey

    ReplyDelete