Thursday, March 3, 2011

Change Game

















Wow, that change game is very difficult! I love strategy games, though, so I'm enjoying it very much. I learned a lot this week about systematic changes and how to effectively plan for and start a change. We need to change over our curriculum for K-5 Technology Enrichment and I think following the steps that I have learned this week will help this go much smoother. I've mapped out this surriculum change process in my head:

1. Assess our current curriculum on the basis of aligning to national standards.
2. Locate any gaps in our curriculum.
3. Get the rest of the team on board with the change.
4. Create/locate additional activities/lessons that will fill the gaps.
5. Train staff on new resources.
6. Implement.
7. Assess student progress towards the standards.
8. Adjust.
9. Repeat 7 and 8.

I'm not sure if I need to assess the students in the beginning or not. I'm thinking not, because we're solely looking at changing to meet the standards. We will need to, however, put a few common formative assessments into the curriculum and adjust as needed. I'm hoping by taking these steps, there will be fewer bumps in the road.

I loved the motivational leadership chapter in our book. We do a lot of these things in our school, not led by our administrator, but rather as a team effort to increase morale and support one another. We all have t-shirts that say READ on them, which we wore for our group picture.

6 comments:

  1. When you look at the list of steps you need to take to accomplish your goal, it seems like it will never get done, especially when you get to the area of getting others on board. That always seems to be the hardest. If you get to the point where it takes too long, it could affect the climate and prevent things from getting done. If administrators are made to force someone to get on board then it creates a morale problem. Not an easy thing to figure out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I love your picture! What a great way to get staff together to do something motivational. Second, you did a nice job on your list I have been mapping out my thought a lot this week as well because during the game on Monday I felt like I had no idea where to start. I came to the conclusion that I thought we should start with training the staff because that if where i always am told to start. I have never been the one to start change so I don't know the best way to go about it. Hopefully this week I will continue to see what's been behind the scenes for me until now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, I also liked your list of steps to take to create change. The game was hard for me because I am usually on a team creating change, but not the one leading that team. It was interesting to see what you had written which makes complete sense. Lets see if your steps help with the second round of the game tomorrow. Second, I like your picture as well! We have shirts that say Just Be Nice and it would be fun to get a group picture like that of our staff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I'm going to have trouble getting everyone on board, but all of the other curricular areas have to change with standards and make updates, why not us?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having the national standards behind you should help. It isn't that you're changing the curriculum just for the sake of change. You're aligning your learning objectives with the national standards. It6 is frustrating when other people drag their feet when you're willing to put forth the effort to make the changes and are willing to do most of the work. All they have to do is hop on board. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kylie! I hope it works out!

    ReplyDelete