This week we are exploring online, free word processors. I use word processing every single day in my teaching. (at right is one of students word processing today, in fact) I never realized there were so many available. I took time to use the three we were linked to and liked using all of them. I can see this as a valuable classroom tool. I particularly like Zoho Writer.
Along with exploring other word processors, we got to use other search engines this week. My eyes are open! I always use Google and now know that I’ve been missing a portion of the Web! I think that knowing this will help me teach students how to search better and more efficiently.
This week made me think a lot about collaboration and having students work together. I would really like to build a new project for later this year that incorporations collaboration using an online word processing program. This would be a new and interesting experience for my fifth graders.
Along with exploring other word processors, we got to use other search engines this week. My eyes are open! I always use Google and now know that I’ve been missing a portion of the Web! I think that knowing this will help me teach students how to search better and more efficiently.
This week made me think a lot about collaboration and having students work together. I would really like to build a new project for later this year that incorporations collaboration using an online word processing program. This would be a new and interesting experience for my fifth graders.
I too found the use of other search engines as a fun experience. I am now thinking I will use Bing much more. I like the attractive appearance along with the easy to use 'History' tab. I often search and re-search the same topic numerous times, because I have either closed out pre-maturely or I am interrupted and need to come back to my search later. Which was your favorite search engine? Will you ever insist on your students using a particular search engine for an assignment? How could you mandate that they are using various web browsers?
ReplyDelete