Sunday, January 10, 2010

Week 5 CEDO 515

This past week we looked at professional development, evaluating software, and keeping up to-to-date on technology trends. I really found the evaluating software piece to be helpful. My district does not use anything specific to evaluate software and has no procedure for ordering software. I am using my new found knowledge to help the IT staff implement some of this into our district. I evaluated some software that I would like to purchase for my 1-3rd graders for next year to enhance my curriculum. Hopefully, since I did it in such a professional manner (using the eval tool, formally requesting, etc.) it will be looked at and ordered.

I am always looking for professional development opportunities. Unfortunately, as the book said, it's hard to find good technology PD. I will continue to try to find ways to enhance my knowledge of technology and technology trends to help me continue to become an even better Technology Enrichment teacher.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah, I too found the software evaluation tools to be helpful. In my company software is often selected by one or two people who 'think' something is wonderful but are not representative of all the stakeholders.

    I was also wondering about Professional Development opportunities with technology. I think it would be helpful to find a group in the Madison area that would like to meet and share ideas about how members employ technology in curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I'm going to bring back the software evaluation to my district so that something similar may be adapted. (Good luck on getting software for your kids!)

    Brian, I think that would group would be interesting! It would be fun to share new ideas with others in the area and gain new information and ideas from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, very cool that your software evaluation is going to help you get new software possibly for your school. I hope it works for you. My school already has a similar procedure in place to request software.

    ReplyDelete