I found bubbl.us very easy to use. It was easy to navigate the tools and easy to share my finished product. It is free, which is a fabulous price. The downside, it is not very "fancy" and does not have images. Out of the three it is the least impressive, yet simplest to use.Mindmeister was also easy to use. It is free, but you only get three free mind

maps. You can delete the maps after you make them, so it is not entirely limiting. It is much prettier thanbubbl.us, but still does not have images. It shares the same enter and tab functionality (adding subtopics) as bubbl.us.
Webspiration looks and feels a lot like Kidspiration and Inspiration. This program was by far the most "advanced." It offers diagrams and outlines. The outlines are a nice added feature. It is a little more complicated to use mainly because of the added functionality. It has graphics and the ability to upload your own graphics.
view my map at: http://www.mywebspiration.com/view/378548a7215
I would use Webspiration in my classroom. I think that my kids would benefit from the graphical aspect of Webspiration. I could use it with my non-readers by having them mind-map using images rather than text. I love this use of nonliguistic representation!
Sarah, I compared the same three tools you did. I also found Webspiration to be the most advanced and Bubbl.us the most simplistic. My students love Inspiration, and I'm excited to share Webspiration with them, especially with those students who go on extended vacations and need to map and/or outline for homework assignments during their absence. Yes, you can sign up for a trial of Inspiration, but why not just set up a free Webspiration account; it's compatible with Inspiration!? I like Bubbl.us as a tool to suggest for students to use as a personal tool. Who can not like a tool that calls new bubbles, child and sibling?
ReplyDeleteHi Sarah,
ReplyDelete1st of all, so good to meet you at WEMTA! I hope you enjoyed the conference, I sure did! And I love the cat picture at the top of your blog!
Have you figured out where in the classroom you can use Webspiration in the classroom? What kinds of activities would this work well with?
Thanks,
Mary
Hi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI looked at the same three you did. MindMeister does have some images available, they are just not as obvious (and more limited) than Webspiration. The images are not in the main toolbar but in the toolbar to the side. Does your school provide emails to students or do they use addresses they have from home for signing up for accounts on programs like this? That always seems to be the limiting factor for me.
Although Mindmeister does look better than bubble.us, I'll stick with the last. I'd also rather save my maps and not have to pay to do so. If programs such as these are $20.00 or less and one is able to download them on either a desktop or laptop, I'd just as soon buy it. Oh...nice maps!
ReplyDelete