What kinds of technologies can I use to help students participate in cooperative learning?
My students range in age from 7-11. I try to find ways to help students collaborate on projects. Some of the technologies I can use that we currently have at school are:
* Movie Maker- various projects at each grade level
* MediaBlender/PowerPoint - create presentations as a group
I currently do this in a 4th grade project where students work in groups to create a band and tour around Wisconsin. I also utilize word processing software for students to collaboratively write about their band and the tour.
* Online webquests at various levels and about various topics
* Microsoft Word to create a website about a topic
When I taught middle school, I used iWeb with my eighth graders to do this
* PBWiki to create a website about a topic
I am going to be using this for them 4th grade band tour project for next year
What kinds of technologies can I use to reinforce effort?
I have never used technology to reinforce effort. Some ways I could do this are:
* Posting finished projects on a Wiki page
I used to do this with my middle-schoolers, I would post their web pages
* I use Engrade to track my students grades and timings in Keyboarding and technology. I could give them a code so that they could view their grades/info at home or school anytime.
The idea of using technology to reinforce effort is one that I have very little experience with but in trying to better myself I like hearing what you use. You mentioned that you have used iweb and PBWiki to create webpages for your classes....is there a way to incorporate reinforcing effort there. I know it would have to be above and beyond just making it an electronic showcase of the achievements in your classroom but there has to be something. Would letting the student of the month create their own "about me" page be something that interests 4th graders? I'll keep thinking about this one in hopes that I can also find something that works for my high school students!
ReplyDeleteI like your project of being a band and touring around Wisconsin! Sounds like a good catch for the kids to be interested!
ReplyDeleteI also don't have much experience with using technology to reinforce effort. As a district we use PowerSchool which is an online gradebook so all their assignments are placed on the web. Each parent and student has a password to access it. I can also comment and set up an alert or automatic email. Works well....sounds like what you might be able to do with engrade.
The main way I've used technology to reinforce effort is to email parents when things are not going well, but I know this does not count. I too will consider all that technology can do to reinforce effort. What I'd like to see done throughout the district is the system of auto-email grade notification. Many times I directly tell specific students that their effort had a lot to do with their final grade, but they still need to accomplish the goals listed on the rubric.
ReplyDelete