Thursday, February 24, 2011

Change














This week I have learned a lot about change. Being a Millenial, I don't fear change, I actually embrace it! I have never taught the exact same thing twice. As the times and tech change, so does my curriculum. Now, that's not to say I need to try the "big shiny" (aka the newest thing to flash in front of my face) as Kylie puts it :) , however, I do like to dabble in the newest of the new and see how it fits into my curriculum.

Millenials take this quiz ;) My millenial score is 84!

We are going through massive changes in education right now. The budget "crisis" is forcing our districts to make some tough decisions that will impact all of us. How we handle these changes defines who we are. I, for one, plan to overcome any hardship that may occur in my life due to these circumstances. I will change for the better. I will still make my classroom productive and fun, no matter how many children I have to teach at once. I will still find a way to make a connection to each child and help them succeed.

The leadership in my district has been doing a pretty good job during this change. They have kept us informed and optimistic, but not overly so. They are being honest with us and letting us know the 'what if's'.

I am in the process of creating some change in my district in our curriculum. I am getting resistance from the "senior" members of our team, but the curriculum director and assistant superintendent want me to take this leadership opportunity and make these changes. I am going to need all that I am learning in this course to make this work!

4 comments:

  1. Millenial Format Response:

    Sara, it iz so kewl dat U R a Millenial. I hOp U R rly a Millenial so dat U cn actually rED DIS. Oh my god, I so knO wot U mean bout aL d chAng n d air. It duz spk 2 yor skul district leadership dat dey kEp U informed of d 'what-ifs' bt don't way U dwn w t% much info.

    d old guard wiL alwys resist chAng. evry tym we fite a nu wR we uz d strategies & technologies frm d prior 1. U R breakN nu ground & I wsh U d best. I knO U wiL weL az U do not suffer fools gladly.

    Baby Boomer Translation:

    Sara, it is so cool that you are a Millenial. I hope you are really a Millenial so that you can actually read this. Oh my god, I so know what you mean about all the change in the air. It does speak to your school district leadership that they keep you informed of the 'what-ifs' but don't way you down with too much information.

    The old guard will always resist change. Every time we fight a new war we use the strategies and technologies from the prior one. You are breaking new ground and I wish you the best. I know you will well as you do not suffer fools gladly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took your quiz also and was surprised to find myself at an 88, especially since by birth I am definitely not a Millennial. I keep changing what I am doing (spent a total of about 10 year in college) I didn't start out in education, then changed to library, now focusing on technology. I think these experiences put me closer to a Millennial when it comes to technology and change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, I liked the quiz as well. I scored a 95, which doesn't surprise me because of when I was born and how I do things in a daily basis. I think it is fun to be a part of the team that changes things for the better in our schools. I am currently helping revamp our social studies curriculum and our technology use policy. This program has really helped give me the little boost I needed to do these things. Although, I am confident and don't mind change, I sometimes need a little push.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think our age is having less to do with where we "fall" in terms of age groups. People who are more technologically savvy are going to relate more to the newest generations.

    ReplyDelete