Sunday, October 25, 2009

Blog #3 for 510

The Questions posed:
How important is your data.? What could you afford to lose? What could you not afford to lose?Lets take a look at it from two angles, personal and professional.

My Answer:
On a personal level, I could not afford to lose my grad school data and my personal finance information. My taxes are saved on TurboTaxes servers, so I can retrieve previous years taxes at any time. I have moved to keeping all of my grad school information (papers, assignments, etc.) on Google Docs, so again, those are pretty safe. I would be heart broken if I lost all of my music or photos but it would not be the end of the world.

On a professional level, I would be lost if I my lesson plans were lost or my student progress data was lost. I do all of my lesson planning digitally and also record all student grades and progress digitally. My data is saved on the school server which is backed up nightly, but if some catostrophic event happened that they were not prepared for happened and my data was lost, I'd be in big trouble. I think I might have to print a paper copy of everything after writing this post! I cannot afford to lose anything that I keep digitally for work.

1 comment:

  1. As I've told Jessica, my personal data is important to me; it has both sentimental value and reflects a lot of time. My school lessons simply reflect a great deal of personal time as well. I too plan on printing out my files of every lesson and keeping them in a file cabinet, just in case. I'll do that someday when the master's program is finished!

    ReplyDelete