I enjoyed this weeks class work. I especially liked the reading from Presentation Zen and how it is helping me to create better presentations. I have already revised a PowerPoint presentation that I use for second grade to talk about plant adaptations. I have them create their own plant for a specific habitat and show me how it has adapted to that specific environment.
I have found a lot of lessons that I can use to incorporate digital storytelling into my curriculum. I can do at least one with each grade level 2-5(I chose grade level activities based on what we teach at different grade levels in our district.
Second Grade: Habitats
Third Grade: Japan Story (instead of Japan book I do now)
Fourth Grade: Grandparent Tea or similar family story
Fifth Grade: Name Meaning Autobiography
Sarah, I was especially interested in the Name Meaning Autobiography mini-unit. When time allows during our memoir unit, I have students research the history of their name by orally
ReplyDelete(no texting or e-mailing) interviewing family. This allows them to practice their communication skills and promotes accuracy in reporting.:) This activity is great for relationship building in their houses as siblings and even grandparents and such share their thoughts about the kids' names. I am always surprised at how few children know anything about why they're named what they're named.
I think it's great that you're immediately applying what we're learning in class into your classroom. Your students are lucky to have you as a teacher!
Sarah, I also really enjoyed this week's work. The book is giving great ideas and is easy to understand. I've also been changing some presentations so they are a bit more sticky! I haven't used digital storytelling in my class as of yet, but have ideas for next year. I do use a few books in class now, where I'm going to try and find an online story to use instead.
ReplyDeleteSarah, way to jump right in and start applying what you've learned. I think it's great that you have already planned how to use the stories with your students. I, too, am excited about the real life application that I will be able to use with my students. Teaching first grade exposes me to mostly cartoony images and fluffy content. All that stuff is fun, but the real world stories are also beneficial for them. I can't wait to get started sharing these resources with my students!
ReplyDelete