I can relate the examples of online learning to my own experience in the following way. I see the need for individualized instruction and a new method to reach the “uninterested” students. I see e learning as a way to accomplish both. I think the model of teaching a specific topic, at a specific rate, to a group of students is out-dated. We need to teach students in a way that gets them excited about learning and at a pace that is right for them. Some students need a lot of guidance, others just need direction. Either way, this “new” way of teaching is more inline with how students learn.
These are some problems I had navigating the course management system and utilizing the discussion boards, can you help me with posting images from the web? I was unable to link to a picture. I had to download it and then upload it to the site.
I can imagine using Elluminate Live! for a web conference in order to teach a subject to the gifted and talented math students in our district. Right now, the GT teachers work in two buildings and work with two or three students at a time. It would be more cost effective and beneficial for the students to meet online for instruction with one teacher and then work at their own pace on their work. I think this would also allow for more courses to be taught using the GT staff and make it truly at GT program, not just an advanced math class.
I tried something new while working on this module and it made me think that I should really start teaching online. I applied to McFarland’s virtual school last year and did not get and interview. I’m hoping this certification will make me a more appealing applicant in the future. I love the idea of being able to reach and teach students at their own level. I think I can make a greater impact as a teacher this way.
Thanks for the link Sarah and thank you for adding the new thread for everyone to post their blog links.
ReplyDeleteYou are able to add links to the discussion board and you can add images as you have discovered. I have not found a way to link to an image or a video and have the image or video appear on the discussion board.
BrainHoney does give you the ability to add HTML in other locations, so it is possible to embed video in other locations, but I think your solution was the best.
Good luck with your application to the virtual school. I have thought about it as well but I have been out of teaching for 11 years now. I think it would be tough to go back to teaching high school students. I have been spending most of my time teaching adults and will now start teaching adults at my school online. Maybe with some experience at this level I can find online programs teaching college level students.
ReplyDeleteSarah, I am really thankful for the diverse groups of people we have in our cohort. When we all get to share our thoughts, resources we find and bounce ideas off of each other it helps me grow in powerful ways. I never thought about myself teaching online until now, I didn't know how in depth online education was until I started at CU. I am so amazed. Your suggestion of the more efficient ways to use on-line teaching for the gifted and talented students is a wonderful idea. This is one that I will use in my classroom to work with my newest class arrangement. Thank you for sharing this idea.
ReplyDeleteI think that in addition to our students getting excited and needing to be excited about the content and delivery, we need this as well. If we don't feel it and believe it, they won't either. When I have had to teach a lesson in a prescribed and dull way, it shows in my delivery. I think that I am less effective. When I can feel confident that I have improved upon the delivery and effectiveness of the exercises, I present it all with more confidence and enthusiasm.
ReplyDelete